Friday, March 16, 2018

Props

    My last post I discussed my cast, location, and how I'm writing the storyboard. Now, instead I have ideas for props! So, I was talking to my girlfriend Samantha about what I needed from her story-wise and how the opening would play out based on what I have so far. About halfway through she asks me "What kind of weapon will Matthew be holding?" and honestly I hadn't really thought about that more than just assuming it would be a play knife that I would buy at Party City. That's when she told me that her step-dad, who's a cook, has so many different types of knives in their kitchen that we can check them out and see if I would want to use one. So, we went to her house and I looked at them and they were really cool! We ended up picking this butcher knife which would really be dope. Now, in the scenes in which Matthew is up close and personal with the actors he will be using a fake prop knife, although in the scenes where he's walking around intimidating them he will be holding the real one. I think this adds something really cool to the opening and helps bring out the horror. Especially due to the familiarity of the knife in horror such as films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th. It's a small detail that brings the real sense of horror to the film opening. 


    Another prop that I have for the film opening thanks to my wonderful girlfriend Samantha is fake blood! Although no body will be shown being harmed or killed in the opening, having fake blood also creates this effect of realism in the film and adds to the fear. Seeing blood is just something the human body associates with negative things which is all my opening is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment