Friday, March 30, 2018

The Bathroom scene

    The bathroom scene is definitely my favorite scene in the film. This is the scene where Juan sees an arm hanging out the tub, approaches it, and then is shockingly revealed that it is a bloody mess and he's in the middle of a disgusting crime scene. So, to create the image of a crime scene we took the fake blood spray and sprayed it all around. I wanted it to looking like he got slashed and dashed so we had spray on the walls as if it was getting all over the place. We made it more bloody in the corner of the tub because that would be where his body had been laying. Another thing we did was take off my shower curtain and replace it with just the clear plastic part of the curtain which I think adds more to the fear because it seems more real, like you're there. So we sprayed the curtain and it started dripping down which created such a cool shot! Then Matthew came up with the great idea of turning the tub on and filling it with water just a little bit and then mixing the fake blood with the water to make it more realistic in the fact that there would be blood pouring out of him if he'd been just dead laying there. The shot I could already tell was going to look so cool, I was so excited to get Matthew in the tub and start filming.
    So we continued from the last scene and I used mostly medium shots and over the shoulder shots. I used these because I want the audience to feel as if they are in the house with Juan and they are approaching the body slowly and suspensefully as he does. We took our time with this scene and I shot it multiple different times from different spots getting different reveals each time. While filming I knew exactly which shot I wanted to be the one. It wasn't even supposed to happen how it did and came out wonderful. So, I was filming the scene normally and everything was going great, I really liked it so far. Then as Juan got closer the light escaped the camera and unfocused. At first I was annoyed and almost cut the shot but Juan kept going. As he approached the body it focused and created a beautiful reveal shot that I don't know how I would have done otherwise. I really loved this scene and it came out great.
   Once I knew we got that beautiful shot and had plenty to look back on. We needed Matthew again but this time he's the killer. We had him be both because I didn't have another person and no one sees his face as the killer anyways. So, we gave Matthew time to shower and get the blood off and we cleaned up the tub. I gave Matthew my Groot mask from Guardians of the Galaxy and he wore a hoodie to cover everything else. Ultimately, you can't see the mask in the film but I had him wear it just in case. For this scene I googled what the police codes were for a murder and it turned out in California they call it a "section 187" so in the film I had Juan say "We got a 187 here, i'm gonna need backup." and then slowly Matthew appears behind him. We also had Matthew wearing gloves because a killer doesn't want his prints to get everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment